Wednesday, September 19, 2012

5364 - Week 4 Part 1

The quote that got may attention in this week’s reading was:  “To be prepared for the fast-paced, virtual workplace that they will inherit, today’s students need to be able to learn and produce cooperatively” (Pitler, Hubbell, Kuhn & Malenoski, 2007). Working cooperatively is something that I am constantly trying to improve in my 4th grade class. The students are learning to be good group members and tot trust each other as a group, believing that the work will get done and done well. As the students continue in their education, as well as entering the work force, they have no choice but to be a team player and work with people. It is a little bit of a challenge for some students and others seem to do well with it as some like working together while others prefer to work alone. It is a skill that must be practiced and rehearsed in order to learn to do it well. Personally I do not like group work because my past experiences have left me feeling like I am carrying my group and that I do most of the work while others skate by on my grade however, I have found that the groups at Lamar University have all had professionals in them who do their part, a welcome change.

Pitler, H., Hubbell, E. R., Kuhn, M., & Malenoski, K. (2007). Using technology with classroom instruction that works. (p. 139). Alexandria, VA: ASCD

No comments:

Post a Comment